Reviews of The Book of CODESYS

This forum contains a sample chapter and lab, an introduction to The Book of CODESYS and its author, and the full text search index for the book. This forum also contains demos and sales information on the custom libraries mentioned in The Book of CODESYS.

Moderator: GaryPratt

Forum rules
All posts must be respectful, positive, and constructive. Any others will be deleted.
GaryPratt
Site Admin

Reviews of The Book of CODESYS

Post by GaryPratt »

Kyle Bakis
5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!
Verified Purchase
Gary is one of the best in his field and this book is an example of why.

As a natural teacher, Gary is able to break down complex subject matter into easy-to-understand pieces. Then, as an engineer with decades of experience, he follows up with "real world" examples that enable the reader to comprehend the big picture.

I'd recommend this book to any Codesys user regardless of their level of experience.

Bob Honor
5.0 out of 5 stars This is what PLC programmers have been waiting for!
Gary Pratt has delivered the ultimate guide to programming an automation solution. Codesys has revolutionized PLC/PAC programming by bringing state of the art programming techniques to the world of automation. The Book of Codesys, in a systematic and logical way, with detailed examples, steps the reader through everything they need to know to successfully develop, debug and deliver an automation program. Based on industry standard IEC61131-3, Codesys is being adopted as the tool of choice by a majority of automation engineers world wide. And now with the definitive guide to using Codesys, developed by Gary through years of application and training experience, a wealth of knowledge is available to all to be applied.

If you have been using Ladder Logic for any amount of time from any of the major automation vendors, an investment in the Book of Codesys is mandatory. I highly endorse Gary's definitive guide, The Book of Codesys.

James Dean
5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal book for beginner or pro
Reviewed in the United States on July 12, 2022
Verified Purchase
Just a great book on the massive software suite that is Codesys. Gary knocks it out of the park on this one. It now travels with me everywhere I go.

Mandeep Ahuja
5.0 out of 5 stars Take your PLC programming skill to next level
I got trained by Gary the Author on this material in 2018. The book isn't like other software books where only fundamentals are shown and you have to apply your own application knowledge, rather the book shows you complex application examples (from nuclear reactors to high speed bottle fillers) with best practices and efficient code writing. It broadens the horizon on which language to use for different parts of automation. The references are so amazing that I have this material open when I am writing PLC code. You'll learn things about CODESYS that are not even available from 3S or the CODESYS website.

The book contains best practices, code examples, and solutions to everyday problems faced by a controls engineers. If you want to take your PLC automation skills to the highest level possible then invest in this book.

Dominic
5.0 out of 5 stars The best resource for Codesys so far
This book is a great resource for anyone using Codesys. If you are just getting started with Codesys, you'll find the topics, examples and labs particularly useful and full of information. If you are an experienced Codesys programmer, there's a good chance that you'll pick up some key bits of information that will be transformational in your programming practices. I know it was for me!

Save yourself the hours of scouring the internet and buy this comprehensive book. It was worth every penny for me eventhough I had already been using Codesys for 4 years.

Pay particular attention to everything related to Object Oriented Industrial Programming - this was the eye opener for me.

Highly recommend.

Amazon Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars this text book/manual is over-the-top AWESOME!
Hey Folks,
I have been a Design Engineer for 30 years, developed technical trainings, led seminars and this text book/manual is over-the-top AWESOME!
Content is extremely in depth and organized excellently by topic. Quality of the book (yes 8/12 x 11 !) is best in class.
I started doing IEC61131 for PLCs few years back (CODESYS) and this will be my most used reference for sure. Even example Projects at varying skill levels.

Great job Mr. Pratt!

Wolfgang Thamm
5.0 out of 5 stars It's almost like sitting in one of Gary's Training classes
This is the reference you've been looking for, if you program in Codesys. As in all the notes you wish you had taken while attending a training class. With real applications in mind, it provides good guidance on best practices, and answers many of the "Why do they do it that way?".
Highly recommend.

Karen Hancock
5.0 out of 5 stars The only CODESYS book you will need
"The Book of CODESYS" is a great resource for both beginners and experts of IEC 61131-3. Gary presents the material in such a way that is very practical for industry applications. This is unlike any other programming reference book I have seen before. VERY USEFUL EXAMPLES! Gary is the best in business when it comes to Object Oriented Industrial Programming (OOIP), and he passes along so many useful tips and tricks in this book. Highly recommended!

Just one application engineer
5.0 out of 5 [/b] stars Great! This is the book I want to get
Verified Purchase
I'm searching the book of IEC61131-3 Programming Language, however it couldn't.
But this book is what I really want.
This book is not only the text for all IEC61131-3 Programming Language, but also the good example to learn.
If someone worried same problem as me, you should get this book.
May be at least more than 10 years after, you cannot meet this level book.

Amazon Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Guide
Verified Purchaser
The Book of Codesys is the indispensable missing guide to mastering Codesys V3.5.
The book is packed with practical details about the Codesys IDE, programming languages, practical projects to complete as you progress through the book and so much more.
I cannot think of a better addition to my PLC programming Library.

Nicolas
5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!
This is a must have for anyone writing IEC61131-3 or anyone programming CODESYS. The writing is very clear and the book contains a lot of practical examples, so it is useful for beginners like me. I can also see how it could also be a good ressource for more expert users.

Reviewed in Germany
5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely recommended. Meets all my expectations and even more.
Having read about the first third of this book I now feel able to give an opinion on it.

I came to this book with a rather fragmented level of knowledge about the Codesys environment. This level of knowledge was based on several sources, including my experience as a programmer of Allen Bradley and Siemens PLCs, i.e. PLCs that already offer their own platforms and IDEs. On the other hand my previous Codesys knowledge was mainly based on internet tutorials and hands-on experiences with the free copy of Codesys.

What are the contents of this book giving me? Above all it is helping me to structure my previous knowledge and to be able to further develop it in a deeper way. I find particularly valuable the tips on good programming practices that abound in this book. In the exercises (for example in the case of the part of the book devoted to finite state machines) the author presents several ways of dealing with certain technical approaches commenting on their pros and cons. In fact not only for the case of the exercises but also when the author explains for which goals and tasks a certain language (ST, Ladder, SFC, etc, ...) is more advisable and why. This is of great value to me. On the other hand, the style of writing and presentation of the contents follows a coherent structure and with a clear and direct language.

I can only recommend this book. As far as Codesys is concerned, I have not found anything better on sale and so up to date.

Having said that, I would like to add that I would be happy if in the future a digital edition (pdf or epub of this book) will be available for sale. I see the advantage that this format makes it possible to search for specific information in the book more efficiently and also to zoom in on the illustrations, which can sometimes be a bit too small.

Roland Wagner
5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of CODESYS I ever had
Reviewed in Germany on 11 January 2022
I am working for the CODESYS company since more than 20 years and was giving CODESYS training courses in the past (many years ago). I wished I could have such a comprehensive book during that time. In this book the author really mentions all topics and details that are relevant during programming PLCs respectively project development automation tasks with this IEC 61131-3 software. Thus, the subtitle "The ultimate guide to PLC programming with the IEC 61131-3" is not just a claim, it describes the aim and the content of the book.
Every programming language and its best use case is described, there are plenty of practical and easy to understand examples and comparisons. Reading the book I felt like sitting in a training course with an experienced trainer who is already prepared to all questions I could imagine during programming. He even answers questions I never heard before. In comparison to a real training course the book is really cheap - it is really worth its price.
100% recommendation for everybody who wants to speed up the work with CODESYS. The book pays for itself very quickly!

Dwayne R Zimmerman
5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Guide to PLC programming for Industry 4.0
If you don't know what OOIP is you need to buy this book ASAP it will change the way to program.

Deividas N.
5.0 out of 5 stars Best books in PLC programming
Verified Purchase
This book is amazing!

Tony LeRoy
5.0 out of 5 stars The absolute pinnacle of PLC programming books
Verified Purchase
This book is the all-in-one guide for any codesys PLC programmer. Going over everything from all IEC 61131 languages and even object oriented programming methodologies, this book will take you from zero to hero in PLC programming.

Like a full course!
Functionality 100% Quality 100%
The material in this book is essentially a full course on IEC 61131-3. As long as you have a basic understanding on PLCs and their role in industrial automation, this book will take you pretty far. If you want to learn Codesys and IEC 61131-3, take a few days and go through this book.
Review by CaptinEppi Posted on1/18/22

It's almost like sitting in one of Gary's Training classes
This is the reference you've been looking for, if you program in Codesys. As in all the notes you wish you had taken while attending a training class. With real applications in mind, it provides good guidance on best practices, and answers many of the "Why do they do it that way?".
Highly recommend.
Review by Wolfgang Posted on1/10/22

All CODESYS users must have this book!
"The Book of CODESYS" is a great resource for both beginners and experts of IEC 61131-3. The author, Gary, presents the material in such a way that is very practical for industry applications. This is unlike any other programming reference book I have seen before. VERY USEFUL EXAMPLES! Gary is the best in business when it comes to Object Oriented Industrial Programming (OOIP), and he passes along so many useful tips and tricks in this book. Highly recommended!
Review by Chad Posted on12/31/21

Take your PLC programming skill to next level
I got trained by Gary the Author on this material in 2018. The book isn't like other software books where only fundamentals are shown and you have to apply your own application knowledge, rather the book shows you complex application examples (from nuclear reactors to high speed bottle fillers) with best practices and efficient code writing. It broadens the horizon on which language to use for different parts of automation. The references are so amazing that I have this material open when I am writing PLC code. You'll learn things about CODESYS that are not even available from 3S or the CODESYS website.

The book contains best practices, code examples, and solutions to everyday problems faced by a controls engineers. If you want to take your PLC automation skills to the highest level possible then invest in this book.
Review by Mandeep Posted on12/29/21

Kyle Bakis
Owner & Senior Engineer at KB Marine & Automation
Yes, that guy is a wizard!
He also recently published a great book.

Sandro Quintero
Mechatronics Advisor | 🇨🇦🇺🇸🇲🇽
Gary L. Pratt, P.E. Great content.

Chanda Guy
Instructor at Truckee Meadows Community College
Gary is the best

Kaleb Travis
President/CEO at TNT Automation LLC, Process Control, Automation/Electrical Solutions and Troubleshooting 4.0 solutions architect
Been a huge Gary Pratt fan forever, he’s the man

Tony LeRoy
Industrial Automation, Controls, and Technology Professional
Gary is the absolute pinnacle when it comes to codesys and industrial object oriented programming. This is exactly how I write my programming standards. His book that others have mentioned is one of the best, most informative books I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I’ve read it all the way through once and now I'm on my second time, doing the labs in the book this time.

Shawn Hatton, CCST
Director of Education at Bedrock Automation
The book is very good! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning about Codesys.
Shuvash.jpg
Shuvash.jpg (237.66 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
Shuvash Aryal
Indeed, It is the best among 8 books I bought to learn plc programming.

Shuvash Aryal (Electrical Control Engineer)
Gary L. Pratt, P.E. I bought volume 2 before. I could not stop myself from buying volume 1. It will arrive tomorrow. The best book in codesys world.
Previous was a good read, so why not? I bought it. It will arrive Monday. Excited to advance my skillsets.

Ben Newman
Just want to give a shout-out to Gary L. Pratt, P.E.
I was skeptical at first, but his book really is worth it. I have just been skimming and have found a lot of tidbits, especially in the "gotcha" category.

Chris Aitken
Senior Software & Commissioning Engineer
Excellent book!

Tobey Strauch
Principal Industrial Controls Engineer
I was thinking about this. I know it's "The Book of Codesys". But, to me, it's about the IEC 61131-3. Why? Because I can apply everything in this book to any SDK. In the last year, I have been in Indra works, Twin Cat, Logix Studio, and Mitsubishi.
Funny thing--does not matter, why? Cause IEC61131-3 works in every single one of those environments.
Maybe I have to look up a nuance of Rockwell, or the fact that Mitsubishi is octal...(oi)...but really doesn't matter because the standard applies.
Gary rocks.
yauyauwai

Re: Reviews of The Book of CODESYS

Post by yauyauwai »

This was where I started -- downloaded Win10 Pro-N and install it on an i7-8G-ram pc.

CODESYS 64 version 3.5.18.0 is the first version I downloaded few months age, but failed -- it hanged up, for half an hour, in the process "Install all Packages added to the setup", with the Windows Installer showing zero% in CPU process (Task Manager).

So, I stepped one version back and installed 3.5.17.20, successfully.

Today I started that (3.5.17.20) and login to the network, reading news on 3.5.18.0. Then I gave it another try -- re-download the 18 and re-installed twice, both failed at the same point, hanged up in "Install all Packages added to the setup"

With the 3.5.17.20 on hand, I started typing the ST code on Traffic Light, Chapter Seven. ST is the only language the app provides, that is ctrl-N provide selection only on ST and no other, there is no LD, FB, SFC; that's fine, since I use to code in text. I still went through chapters on LD, FB, SFC, until this chapter where I started hands-on executrices.

One great thing I learned from The Book of CODEYEY is that I found a new way of learning. The first thing being IDE is the most important tool I have to master before going into programming. Graphical programming (relating LD, FB, SFC) is my weakness, actually handicap. Blocks in a regular screen, especially those with high resolution screens, is hard to read, block too small with lines too thin. Moving blocks around, scrolling pages up-and-down, left-and-right makes reading fragmented (Oops, from which point I get into this spot?) So, I stick with ST, I keep typing codes on my favorite text-editors (EditPad, Sublime Text) anywhere, any OS, even without mouse, and paste them to the app.

This Book give me high hope that my previous works can be transplanted into PLC. It is a great book behind a big system, lots of great things coming for us to learn and exercise, lots of ways of programming getting the same result; definitely not a plug-and-play system. Gary is a great teacher to me.

Best regards and have a nice day,
Patrick
2022 Easter
GaryPratt
Site Admin

Re: Reviews of The Book of CODESYS

Post by GaryPratt »

Thank you for the kind words Patrick,

CODESYS has had some trouble with their newly introduced installer. It seems like you discovered the worst. The good news is, they usually fix the bugs fairly quickly. I hope you get the other editors working, you are missing half the strength of IEC61131-3 without them. https://forge.codesys.com/forge/talk/En ... ce3b3eb98/

Be sure to read the section on “Hierarchical vs Flat Designs” in chapter 11. I would tend to agree that a large flat ST design is better than a large flat design in a graphical language (where the blocks and lines get too small to read). But, when the guidelines in chapter 11 are employed to eliminate large flat designs, graphical languages really begin to shine. In fact, when I write my VHDL code that doesn’t have graphical options, I really miss IEC61131-3 and CODESYS.

This might also be of interest:
https://www.controleng.com/articles/whi ... st-part-1/
https://www.controleng.com/articles/whi ... st-part-2/

Regards,

Gary